After over 4 months of waiting, the next batch of Noodler's flex pens are finally arriving! There are more colors available than ever before. Here are all 11 of the available colors:
- Cardinal Darkness
- Clear Demonstrator
- December 25th
- Ivory Darkness
- Lapis Inferno
- Mandarin Yellow
- Panther (Pink)
- Poltergeist Pumpkin
Everyone, and I mean just about EVERYONE is dying for these pens to come in. Bloggers have talked about them, people have posted reviews on the Fountain Pen Network, Pentrace, Fountain Pen Community, Ravelry, Wetcanvas, Badger and Blade, and many of other forums. They've gotten quite the reputation as being the 'everyone's' flex pen. They aren't the fanciest, aren't the nicest, and aren't the most buttery smooth of all flex pens ever made. But, they are most certainly the cheapest, making them the most accessible flex pens around today.
The reason they have been held for release in previous batches is because of the labor involved in setting the feeds to the nibs. Nathan Tardif, the one-man-show behind all of the Noodler's inks and pens, has had to inspect every pen himself and heat set every ebonite feed to fit each flex nib. It's a specialized skill, and a time consuming process that has been dependent on his time to be able to complete. He spent countless hours on previous batches of pens, but that's no longer an issue. This batch will be the first to showcase the newly redesigned feeds that have eliminated the need for heat-setting, meaning that we're going to see more pens start to come in with (essentially) unlimited production capacity. The days of waiting months on end between flex pen releases has come to an end, so I'm told.
Logistics of Ordering from GouletPens.com
Now to the part that really matters to you, how can you get one (or more) of these pens in your hand? The good news is that Nathan has made far more of these pens available than ever before...the bad news is that there is also more awareness and demand for them than ever before, too. It's really hard to say how quickly they're going to go. Judging from previous releases though, they'll go fast.
We are getting a pretty good stock of these pens at GouletPens.com, but we also have yet another record-breaking email notification list for them. We've exercised every possible option to notify you all ahead of time about getting these pens, putting up notices on the product pages for each pen, and posting on Ink Nouveau. We'll also be sending out a separate email to everyone on the list in advance
So, here is what you need to do to have the best chance to get the pen(s) you desire from GouletPens.com:
- Sign up on the email notification list RIGHT NOW for the pens you want, which you do by clicking on the 'email me when back in stock' link right below the 'Add to Cart' button on the product page, then typing in your email. As soon as we make them available for purchase, you'll be notified by email. This isn't required for you to buy the pens, but is just an extra reminder to let you know as soon as the pens are live and available for sale.
- Get to GouletPens.com as close to 12pm (noon) Eastern US time on October 17th, 2011 as you possibly can, because that's when we're releasing the pens for sale. We chose this time to accommodate the most number of people around the world as possible.
- Load other items into your shopping cart ahead of time. Get to GouletPens.com early, and load up whatever else you want before 12pm EDT. Once we make the flex pens live, all you have to do is add them to your cart and checkout with everything. The first ones to checkout get the goods, just having them in your shopping cart doesn't reserve them for you!
- Arrange for someone else to purchase them if you're not able to. If you have an important meeting or appointment at the time of the release, arrange for a family member or friend to help you purchase it. Though we feel we have a good stock of pens and won't run out immediately, it's impossible for us to predict how fast things will move. We may have a run not only on the pens, but on other products we regularly stock. It's likely we'll be out of stock on a number of products once the release happens.
- Make sure your credit card or PayPal is working properly. There's nothing worse than going through all of the excitement of getting your goods only to find out your card expired or you forgot to update something on your PayPal account. If you have an account with us already, make sure your address is up-to-date. Get it all straight ahead of time so you know you're good to go when you checkout.
- You have to order through GouletPens.com. If you call us right after noon, we're going to refer you to our website, if we're even able to answer right away. There will be such a mad rush of people flocking to our site, sending us emails, and calling us, that we can't guarantee that we'll be available at the time of the release. We're sorry if this inconveniences you at all, but it's the only way we can manage everything with our small team. If you are having technical issues with our website at that time email us and we will help you as soon as possible.
- Purchasing your pens only matters if you checkout. Holding them on your wishlist or shopping cart doesn't actually reserve your pens, it all depends on who checks out first.
- You can call us, but we may not be able to answer. Email is preferable, and will give you the greatest likelihood of a quick response. We only have one phone line so email allows us to address issues much faster.
- We have decided not to impose a limit on the pens purchased because we trust everyone will be reasonable. These aren't the last pens that will ever be made, more are already on the way to us next week. Remember, they're just pens! ;)
Why doesn't GouletPens.com take pre-orders or do waitlists?
There are several reasons why we don't take firm reservations, or worse, take your money in advance:
- Limited supply. There's nothing worse than thinking you've got a product reserved for you, only to find out it was oversold. Then you're stuck scrambling at the last minute trying to find it anywhere you can, and it's very stressful!
- Delays!!! They happen ALL the time, across all brands. If we had started to take pre-orders for these flex pens in June after the last release, we would have been holding your money for nearly 5 months. That would be insane.
- Damage in shipping. It happens! Sometimes we're anticipating a big order of new product and we get things in and 1/4 of the product is crunched, wet, or defective in some manner. Then what? If we already sold it, we have to explain it to a group of disappointed (and likely angry) customers. Nope, we like to get things in hand, make sure we know exactly how many we have, then sell them.
- We just can't manage preorders. If we had been taking reservations or pre-orders for these flex pens over the last four-five months, we would have to contact everyone individually and collect payment for the pens right now. People change their minds about wanting them, people want more, or less, they move, they change emails, it just gets way too complicated to handle. We're a small team here, and while we do have more help now than the last release, we're also busier, so we have to handle everything in a way that reasonable for us. This 'landrush' approach is the best way for us to be able to manage it all in a way that maintains our sanity.
The New Colors
This is a yellow pen with orange striations through it. The overall look of the pen ends up looking like a fiery peach color, quite pleasant and vibrant.
This a yellow pen with black striations through it.
Jade is the first Noodler's Piston-Fill pen to be available in green! It has white striations.
This solid yellow pen had previously only been available in a non-flex version - this is the first time it is available with a flex nib.
This pink pen glows under UV black light!