Friday, November 8, 2013
Goulet Q&A Episode 12: Troubleshooting Your Fountain Pens
This week's Q&A was actually a topic that I broke out from last week's (Using Your Fountain Pens). I ended up getting so many troubleshooting questions that I split it into a separate video, which is what I made for today. I can easily see troubleshooting as a periodically recurring topic, so it'll be interesting for me to see how you like today's video.
1) Kathie M.- Facebook (2:07):
How much ink evaporation is "normal?" When should we start looking at the integrity of the seals?
2) Helen O.- Facebook (4:54):
Yes. Kathie asked what I wondered. I put ink in my ahab pen. Then I didn't use it and picked it up about a week later; empty. Can it disappear like that- or is my memory bad?
3) Anna W.- Facebook (7:25):
Do pens leak more at high altitude? I live at 5280' and find my pens dribble into the cap fairly often. Even those that never leave my desk. It happens across the board with brands and inks.
4) Michelle B.- Facebook (9:18):
Why does this happen - I've had a couple different C/C pens completely empty the entire converter of ink into the lid/general vicinity overnight.
5) Diane- email (10:52):
In the past, I have read questions on FPN regarding cleaning the cap of a pen after changing colors. Is it possible (or necessary) to do this for a Pilot VP? If so, how would one go about checking to see if it was needed and how would it be done?
6) Roxanne R.- Facebook (12:53):
I bought a converter with my Lamy Al-Star, my first fountain pen. It's awesomely fantastic, but I do wonder: The converter seemed to pull up so very little ink compared to the space available to fill. Is it always this way, or is there a way to coax it to fill up more completely, or did I do something totally wrong? I believe I kept the fill hole submerged.
7) Christine D.- Facebook (16:49):
I have a Pilot Metropolitan (love it!) with the squeezie converter. I've used it lots, but this last time, the pen was dripping ink every few days - just a little drip. When I went to clean it, there were drops of ink all over the inside of the barrel. Do you think there's an issue with the converter? or perhaps the ink? user error?
8) Vintage Flex Fountain Pens & Accessories- Facebook (18:42):
When using an older hard rubber eyedropper pen, sometimes there can be a slight leak where the threaded section inserts into the barrel. I have found that coating the threaded section with beeswax works well. Can you recommend a better solution?
9) Ted- Ink Nouveau (19:52):
I carry my fps in my shirt pocket (clipped, tip up) every day, but some times I leave them there without use for hours and they do not start so well--and under a rush need this is inconvenient. Other than the design feature of a Vanishing Point, and other than putting them in a pocket loose and cap down (I lean over a lot and don't want pens falling out), what can you suggest that I do?
10) Angel L.- Ink Nouveau (22:18):
How do I prevent muscle pain when using flex pens like Noodler's Ahab? Is it normal for it to hurt after a while or should I invest in a better, softer flex nib pen?
11) Blue Moon- Ink Nouveau (25:32):
3 Questions for next Q&A - all about the TWSBI.
1. I'm interested in the medium nib. What happened in the last shipment? Everything came but that one.
2. I read on FPGeeks (an October, 2013 article) that TWSBI is fixing the cracking issues - http://fpgeeks.com/2013/10/big... - Is the shipment that you just received (and the medium that I hope you'll soon get) part of the ones that are fixed or are they from the old batch?
3. What's the deal with TWSBI? What I mean by that is that people are crazy about them. If any other brand or model had issues - cracking or scratchy nib, people would avoid them like the plague, but I see comments like, "My TWSBI skips and doesn't have the best ink flow, but I LOVE IT!" and "My TWSBI cracked, but I'm still using it until I get a new one." So, what's the deal?
12) NoFuture NoHope- Ink Nouveau (33:30):
I have one more: How to use the Kaweco squeeze converter. I have a new Kaweco AC Sport Carbon with the converter, but I cannot get it full no matter how many times I squeeze it.
13) ZhanchiMan- Reddit (36:23):
I'm just gonna say right here, this is an excellent medium to get questions from as well as facebook, youtube, google plus, so on and so forth. Here's my question: If I let an ink dry up in a pen, how can I clean the pen to ensure that there isn't any dried ink left? I let mine sit for a couple of months, and though it didn't dry up completely, my pen did have a rough time trying to start writing.
14) songandrew- Reddit (42:09):
Is it normal for pens to write fatter lines the longer you use them? My 4 year old f nib is writing dangerously close to a medium now, and I can't figure out any other reason than use over time.
Be sure to check out previous Goulet Q&A videos, I'm getting a nice little catalog of them! Next week's topic will be another Open Forum, where I'll answer any questions about fountain pens, ink, or paper that you have. Just post your question in the comments below and there's a really good chance I'll answer your question in next week's video. Thanks so much for watching, and have a great week!