Wishlist

Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Matchup: Pilot Falcon & Platinum Carbon Black

It’s that time of the week again! Today, we bring you Monday Matchup featuring the Pilot Falcon inked with Platinum Carbon Black. This dynamic duo is a win-win in our book — you can’t help but love it.

Don’t let the artwork fool you. It might look like a photograph, but it’s really another fascinating drawing done by Joe O. When brainstorming, Joe started thinking about the element Carbon. As he was reflecting back on his chemistry and geology classes, he remembered the molecule Buckminsterfullerene. Ultimately, this led him to Buckminster Fuller, a neo-futuristic architect and inventor, and his trademark geodesic domes, one being the Dymaxion car he invented.

Hope you enjoy this matchup and your Monday!

19 comments:

1. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I know, right?! I'm always in awe of the art Joe produces! -Alex Ross

ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Maybe I shouldn't let this ink sit in my Wish List much longer. What kind of paper did you use Joe? Wonderful work.

3. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM

You definitely shouldn't ;) He used the Stillman & Birn Zeta Series Sketchbook. He loves it and highly recommends!

ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very well done. One of my life goals is to do art like this, with my own style, of course. :)

ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a bucky ball in a piece of art. The whole thing is amazing!!! I'm with nado, a video or time-lapse would be very welcoming.

ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is really awesome artwork by Joe. It'd be great if you guys recorded (from overhead) him putting this together and created a time lapse video to showcase.

7. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM

We've talked about that! It would make a great reel :) Hopefully we'll be able to do something like it soon!

8. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM

You can do it!

ReplyDelete
  9. OH how I wish I could draw like that. I LOVE line drawings & black and white pen and ink. Beautiful!

ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious how well that ink behaved in the extra fine. I've been hesitating for the last month over whether to get the fine or extra fine. I'd use it exclusively with the Platinum Carbon Black, which might be a little sluggish for that small of a nib, I'd think? I'd like some input.

ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and great work as always, Joe!

12. Norman Donald ShechnerJuly 24, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I'm really impressed

ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous drawing...it really shows what the ink can do (in the right hands, of course). Beautiful work!

14. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Joe really does make ink look good!

15. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Joe is constantly impressing us — each week I'm blown away by what he does! We are so lucky to have him as part of our team.

16. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I think it'd actually work really well with the EF nib. I've found the Platinum Carbon Black to be a pretty wet and good flowing ink — one of the reasons why it's a favorite! I've used it with a Falcon (Fine) and never had issues, so I think it'd perform just as well with the EF.

17. Alex at Goulet PensJuly 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I'll let him know :) Thanks!

ReplyDelete

Don't miss anything! Subscribe to our Weekly Email Newsletter!

Disqus for Goulet Pens Blog