As usual, this week has been busy :) We've hired a couple of new folks on our Customer Care team, Anna and Margaret, and we'll have their pics and bios up on our site soon. We will also have Madigan joining them in a couple of weeks. And we're saying goodbye to Tyler our multimedia photographer/videographer as he takes his freelance wedding photo/video business full time. We're sad to see him go, but Jenni will be joining us in a couple of weeks as our videographer to help me step up my game a little bit in the area of videos! I've been falling behind just a little as you might have noticed. I've been keeping up with Q&A, but other videos have just not been as high a priority with all of the hiring that we've been doing. We have a really time-intensive hiring process at Goulet, and I've been very involved in that recently. I promise you though, great things are in the works!
Here are this week's questions:
1) Ryan G.- Ink Nouveau (8:45):
So the school year is coming up, and I am armed with a new Lamy Vista, and some PR Electric D.C. Blue (amazing pen/ink btw :D). Do you have any suggestions for some fountain pen friendly notebooks? Preferably 8.5x11 or similar size, lined. I take a lot of notes and I really need something that can keep up with my FP.
- Clairefontaine C8267 (strong #1)
- only 8.5x11 notebook I have!
- Clairefontaine side-wirebounds/clothbound/staplebound
- C69741 French Rule A5
- C68141 French Rule A4
- C68142 Graph A4
- C63125 Lined A4
- C8155 Top Wirebound A4 Lined
- C69145 Clothbound lined A4
- Rhodia Top Staplebound No. 18
- Rhodia side-wirebounds
2) Analise A.- Facebook (14:16):
Why don't you guys have a table at the DC Pen show?
- did it once in 2010, shot some videos about it
- mad respect for those that work the shows
- too much to be able to bring
- shared inventory
- working vs. mingling
3) Peter C.- Facebook (16:36):
Is there such a thing as breaking-in the nib/pen, or is that more of a myth?
- yes and no
- it’s as much breaking in yourself as the pen
- getting used to the way a pen writes
- nibs to smooth out a bit over time
- nib can become a little softer over time, too
- overemphasized by some, especially those who talk about a pen being ‘ruined’ if someone else even signs their name with it
- c’mon, it’s solid metal
- will be fine, unless abused
4) Josh P.- Facebook (21:35):
I have heard the benefits of micromesh and mylar paper and how to use them from your videos. However i always hear about the possibility of ruining the pen from many individuals. I want to know what should i avoid when using mylar or micromesh? What are the dire mistakes i should avoid when using it? Thanks Brian!
- overdoing it
- trying to smooth before the tines are aligned
5) Otter- Ink Nouveau (26:56):
I have a TWSBI Classic which I bought from you, and would like to know if they will come out with swappable nibs for it. Way back in February I wrote to TWSBI and asked about replacement nibs, and they said it was still in production so it would be a couple of months before they had the nibs. I wrote Philip Wang again in June to find out the status, but got no reply. Do you have any insight as to when the replacement nibs might be offered?
- I know as much as you do, nothing
- don’t know about nibs, but have heard the Classic will become postable soon
6) Mark- Ink Nouveau (27:49):
Hey Brian! Just a thought on the problem of too many questions for these videos - maybe you could create a running collection of the questions that you've answered in these videos. I know there have been times that I wanted to find a specific clip from a specific video that I had seen but had to go back and scroll through a lot of past Q&A's to find it. If there was some complete collection of the questions asked, sorted by category, it would make it easier to find those specific videos and might reduce the questions that have already been answered. Topics might be along the lines of nibs, inks, adjustments/repairs, Goulet company, and different topics for the brand specific videos. As much time as it must take to type up the questions and summaries, I'd think a list of questions only should be doable.
- yeah, this has become an issue over time
- 43 Q&A’s with at around 15 questions each, that’s 645 or so questions
- That’s a lot to keep straight!
- No idea what the answer is to organize all these
- definitely an opportunity to improve referenceability
7) Enrique V.- Facebook (30:52):
What's your favourite 1.1 stub nib for a first time user? Considering Monteverde's and Lamy's so far!
- Both Lamy and MV are good
- same nibs on these pens used on all models within the brand
- TWSBI, when available
- Goulet nib on Noodler’s pen (or other)
- Pilot Parallel is also good! Cheap
8) Vicki N.- Facebook (33:27):
9) 林理谙- Facebook (35:20):
Can I use ammonia to clean out Baystate Blue, or will it explode or something?
- No, but it won't do much
- use bleach, a 10% solution works great
10) Virginia V.- Facebook (37:45):
I'm holding my breath waiting for the Noodlers Neponset. Am I going to turn blue?
- you might! should be really, really soon though
11) Brian H.- Facebook (39:17):
Star Trek fans are commonly referred to as Trekkies/Trekkers, Dr. Who fans are commonly referred to as Whovians, is there such a nickname for those of us who use fountain pens for almost everything? Also, are you planning on adding a music nib to your Goulet nib line anytime soon?
- great question! Don't know of any standard term for FP people like that
- no Goulet music nib, but 1.1mm and 1.5mm stubs are basically the same thing as music
12) Matthew F.- Facebook (41:16):
What is your favorite demonstrator and why? I've really got a hankering for a TWSBI 580, but maybe I should go for something else? And for the sake of the question, let's act like price isn't an issue.
- 580’s pretty awesome!
- Pilot Custom 74, one of my favorite pens (though blue is my favorite)
- Platinum Nice
- Pelikan m1000 demo
13) Dominick D.- Facebook (44:25):
That question I had last time about you possibly selling your own handles for Wax Seals? I know it isn't FP related per say, but I'd still love to hear your opinion on it.
- right now I don’t have a workshop, so I couldn’t do it if I wanted to
- I also don’t have time
- I could, maybe one day someday see myself doing it again, just for fun
- I really did enjoy making them
14) Tim K.- Facebook(46:12):
This might be hard to answer, does scented ink taste like it smells?
- I don’t know and I don’t plan to find out!
- please don’t try, inks are nothing but water and really not healthy chemicals, they’re not at all made to be ingested!
15) Eric L.- Facebook (47:00):
Just bought a Sheaffer 300 from you guys- love the size and weight. What other pens would be comparable dimension and especially heft-wise?
- I’m a fan of the 300, too! (45g)
- Pilot Metal Falcon (33g)
- Jinhao 159 (50g), x750 (36g)
- Lamy Studio (lighter though, 31g)
- Monteverde Invincia (40g)
- TWSBI Vac-700 (32g)
16) Robert R.- Facebook (49:53):
I love the look of the Platinum Maki-e pens. Is it possible that over time and by posting the lid on top whilst writing that the beautiful images will rub off?
- it’s possible, sure
- you have that risk with any pen
- cap insert in pen to protect body??
- I’ve never heard of anyone mentioning any body damage on this pen because of posting the cap
17) Linda D.- Facebook (51:05):
The Quo Vadis site just announced that the new-style Habanas are now available in ivory AND white -- will Goulet start carrying the white as well?
- Quo Vadis switched to ivory paper YEARS ago, what you’re seeing are notebooks still left over from the change
- the least popular colors are left
- we haven’t carried them because they’re the least popular ones left, and it would just be confusing for everyone
Be sure to check out any old Q&A's you've missed here. Next week I'll be doing another Open Forum, so be sure to ask away in the comments below. Have a great week!