Caran d’Ache is a Swiss brand that has been around for about 100 years. Caran d’Ache Hypnotic Turquoise is an ink from their Chromatics INKredible Colors collection. Always a fan of turquoise and of shading inks, this is definitely a contender for my top favorite!
- Lamy Al-Star with medium steel nib (also EF and B nib)
- Rhodia No. 16 dotpad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River white paper
- Moleskine notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- Slow– this one is going to take awhile! If you are a fast writer, it may be better to go with another ink
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Low– This ink will virtually disappear when water is added to it. Probably not your best option when addressing envelopes, but for writing letters or journaling, it should do fine.
- Medium– while you can see a difference between the first and second swipe, the second and third look about the same.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Easy– this ink will wash away with ease! If you switch inks frequently that could be a plus for you.
- High– I love how this ink shades! Beautiful differentiation between up and down strokes. If you are into shading inks, give this a try!
- Medium-this works well in my Noodler’s flex pens, but also looked good in the Lamy EF. A steady flow great for writing pages and pages.
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- 50ml bottle with a gorgeous bottle and box
- The bottle is slanted for easier inking
- The packaging is fantastic. Solid bottle and a perfectly designed box. Would make a great gift or desk statement piece!
I really like Caran d’Ache Hypnotic Turquoise. It has great flow, shades beautifully and the packaging design is unique and lovely. That being said, it’s a pricey ink. With other great turquoise options available, you’ll have to decide if this ink is the right one for you.
What do you think? Is Caran d’Ache Hypnotic Turqoise your go-to turquoise ink?