Happy Halloween, Fountain Pen Friends!!! It's Lydia, back with a special Monday Matchup in celebration of one of my favorite holidays. When I found out my next Monday Matchup fell on Halloween, I knew I wanted to try out the Invincia because it's orange and black. I felt like I could get a somewhat spooky, mysterious but still fun look from a gray ink, so I decided to give Frankincense a try. Read on to hear about my experiences with this pen and ink.
I knew I wanted to do some sort of Jack-o-lantern drawing so I started by tracing those out and filling in the eyes and mouth. Then, I drew the hill underneath and gave the grass a little texture. I was really excited about trying this ink out in my water brushes. I used a blunt tipped syringe to put a few drops of the ink in and started creating a light gray fog for my background. Then I used the brush to blur the lines in my grass a bit as well. I left it overnight to dry. When I came back again, I wrote in the quote. I had seen this saying a lot around the internet and found it super fitting. I wanted to make it a little interesting so I tried to vary my fonts a bit.
I love De Atramentis inks and Frankincense was no exception. It is a nice, wet ink that flows super well. I was able to achieve a good deal of shading, which I liked. This would be a great ink for just about any task. It is a nice shade that is still subdued and reserved but provides a nice change from basic black. The Invincia is a great pen as well. It has enough weight to it that you know the pen is there but it's not heavy at all. It is comfortable both posted and unposted. The cap is quite light so it doesn't add any backweight to the pen at all. The nib on this pen definitely has some feedback to it. I prefer a very super smooth nib with absolutely no feedback, so this wasn't quite my cup of tea (or coffee). It was still a pleasurable experience though. Definitely a great take anywhere, do anything sturdy pen. It would be pretty neat to see poking out of a jacket or shirt pocket too with that bright orange cap!
You can find the Monteverde Invincia Fountain Pen- Orange for $80 at GouletPens.com. De Atramentis Frankincense is available in a 35ml bottle for $14.95 or a 2ml ink sample for $1.45.
Follow the directions below for a chance to win this pen and ink. We're excited to see what pen and ink you have matched!
How to enter Monday Matchup Giveaway:
- Match a pen and ink together. They don't have to match in color, any fountain pen and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way, or submit up to 4 different entries if you'd like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we'll draw a random winner. Since it's totally random, you're eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.