My inspiration stemmed from the fact that I know a huge Ayn Rand fan who just so happens to have a birthday today. I thought this quote was really good and a portrait would be fun to draw so I took that inspiration and ran with it. I tried to draw the portrait a few times with the pen but I ultimately decided to go with more of a painting technique with a brush pen filled with water. I wanted to see what the ink was capable of. I did the whole portrait in layers of water and the ink to get the appropriate shades and layers of color. I really enjoyed this technique and may use it again in the future. I saved the Loom for writing the quote.
I really enjoyed this ink. I don't typically gravitate towards reds, but this ink was chosen for me so I really had a chance to break out of my ordinary ink choices. Park Red is not too pink-y and I really liked that. The Loom was fine to write with. It probably wouldn't be my first choice because I'm not drawn to pens of this heavy metallic look, but it's not a bad looking pen. Also, the size and weight were a bit much for me but it was good to write with. I have smaller hands so I have a more limited selection when it comes to pens that fit my hands. This pen would be good for people with hands larger than mine, to write and doodle with. It is very versatile.
Follow the directions below for a chance to win this pen and ink. We're excited to see what pen and ink you have matched!
How to enter Monday Matchup Giveaway:
- Match a pen and ink together. They don't have to match in color, any fountain pen and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way, or submit up to 4 different entries if you'd like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we'll draw a random winner. Since it's totally random, you're eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.