Hey there, fountain pen friends! Lydia here, bringing you my latest Monday Matchup. I've had my eye on the Parker Urban in Nightsky Blue with a Medium nib since we announced we were carrying it so I was anxious to use it. Read on to hear more about my experiences!
I fell in love with the color of this pen when we posted the Sneak Peek: Parker Transformation blog. I am a sucker for a great blue. The fact that the Caran d'Ache Idyllic Blue happened to match perfectly was a pleasant surprise. The Urban redesign evokes a vintage feel in my mind and I instantly thought of elegant, posh cocktail parties so I took that theme and ran with it.
I found the silhouette of the woman that I liked and traced it onto some Tomoe River paper with the pen. I made sure to position her closer to the top of the page so I had room to write in the quote at the bottom. Then I drew in the railing behind her. To fill in the shapes, I grabbed a water brush and filled it with water, then dipped it in the cap of the ink to get a little color. This ink moves wonderfully for this type of art. It's not a great choice if you plan to have your writing anywhere near water, but it's phenomenal if you're trying to do watercolors. I was so happy with the different shades I was able to achieve. Then I took the pen and wrote in the quote. I love doing block lettering and filling it in with swirled filigree of sorts. I tried to vary the fonts to add some drama and interest to the quote. I absolutely love this quote from Giorgio Armani and I've been waiting for the right pen to write it with and I think the Urban was a perfect fit.
Overall, I liked this pen and ink combination a lot. Idyllic Blue is an eye-catching ink without being too loud or obnoxious. It is the perfect "cautious fun" ink. The Parker nib was super smooth and wrote like a charm. The pen is a great conversation started too. The arrow clip and redesigned styling make it a sophisticated pen with a color choice for every pen lover. I don't think I would change one thing about this matchup.
You can find the Parker Urban in Fine or Medium and 5 great color options. Caran d'Ache Idyllic Blue is available in 50ml bottle for $33.20 and a 2ml sample for $2.70. You can find them both at GouletPens.com.
Follow the directions below for a chance to win this pen and ink. We're excited to see what pen and ink you have matched!
How to enter Monday Matchup Giveaway:
- Match a pen and ink together. They don't have to match in color, any fountain pen and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way, or submit up to 4 different entries if you'd like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we'll draw a random winner. Since it's totally random, you're eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.
What is your favorite example of elegance?