My inspiration came for the piece came from the meaning of "damson," which is plum. Additionally, scientific illustrations have always interested me and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to draw one. I started by looking at photos of plum trees and a few scientific drawings of different fruits to see how they were laid out. Once I got the gist of how to "dissect" the fruit, I sketched it out with a pencil and then went over it with the pen. I used a water brush to add some color and shadows and the ink melted into a dreamy deep purple once a bit of water was added to it. I then went back over it with a pen one last time to add tiny details, like the veins on the leaves and the texture of the plum pit.
I am obsessed with this pen and ink combination right now. This is definitely one of my favorite matchups as far as the matching of the pen and ink. I like to post my pens and the weight of the Lamy Logo was balanced without being back heavy. The lightweight slenderness of the pen felt great when sketching with it for a long period of time. The ink was saturated and juicy, even with the Fine nib. I imagine it would be beautiful in a Broad, too! I really would use this combination for everything. It was hard to let go of it when I was done creating the art. The deep color of the purple is dark enough to be used professionally, but also playful enough to use for letters, sketching, or artwork.
You can find the Lamy Logo Twilight at GouletPens.com for $40. Diamine Damson is available in a 30ml bottle for $7.50, an 80ml bottle for $14.95 and a 2ml ink sample for $1.25.
Follow the directions below for a chance to win this pen and ink. We're excited to see what pen and ink you have matched!
How to enter Monday Matchup Giveaway:
- Match a pen and ink together. They don't have to match in color, any fountain pen and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way, or submit up to 4 different entries if you'd like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we'll draw a random winner. Since it's totally random, you're eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.