Hey, fountain pen friends. Whitney here with my matchup of the Faber-Castell Ambition Pearwood fountain pen and Aurora Black ink. I was excited to let Madigan choose a pen and ink pairing because she always does an amazing job picking pens and inks I love and are a perfect fit for me. She did not disappoint. Read on to hear more about my inspiration for this piece and my thoughts on this pen and ink.
After Madigan used her magical powers of pen choosing and handed me this combo with her goddess-like hands, I pondered the possibilities for my piece. I am a bit of a wise guy and I said to myself "Self, wouldn't it be funny to write popular rap or hip hop lyrics in the same style we write all of our other lovely and poetic quotes?" Yeah! by Usher is one of my favorite songs. Early 2000's top 40s hip hop is a great source of joy for me. I almost always dance and/or sing along when this song comes on. Also I found it pretty hilarious and ridiculous to attribute one word to a musical artist, but very much something I'd do.
I decided that I really wanted to go with a decorative style for my plan to be effective, so I looked to something reminiscent of the art deco/art nouveau style. I haven't done a flowery matchup recently so I thought it would be a good time to go back to that. I made mini mockups of the word, found a version I liked most, and traced it so I wouldn't mess up on camera. The flowers, however, I did completely freehand from reference images of flowers I looked up. I added a bit more depth to them with a water brush.
I really liked the Faber-Castell Ambition, especially the Pearwood color. It's got a nice weight and shape to it. Great for itsy-bitsy hands like mine. It has a classy look that I'm really drawn to as well, a smart looking pen, I'd say. The fine nib wrote nice and smooth, no scratchiness. The ink is lovely, a very classic black. I had no complaints. This pen and ink combo is perfect for everything. Write your grocery list with this pen and impress everyone at the farmer's market or grocery store. Write novels on the back of a (fountain pen friendly) napkin that puts the best author to shame. Use this pen to scribble down an inspired thought you can't bear to lose. Draw a small picture that your mom would be proud to hang on the fridge. Overall, this pen is swell.
You can find the Faber-Castell Ambition Pearwood fountain pen at GouletPens.com for $120. Aurora Black is available in a 45ml bottle for $18 or a 2ml ink sample for $1.25, as well as a 5 pack of cartridges for $6.50.
Follow the directions below for a chance to win this pen and ink. We're excited to see what pen and ink you have matched!
How to enter Monday Matchup Giveaway:
- Match a pen and ink together. They don't have to match in color, any fountain pen and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way, or submit up to 4 different entries if you'd like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we'll draw a random winner. Since it's totally random, you're eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.