As many of you have probably seen, there are some issues with our new site at GouletPens.com. This blog post is an effort to address some of the recurring issues that you’re all seeing and give some context as to what’s happening. We’re receiving a lot of the same emails and questions and wanted to address them here so you’re not left in the dark!
Firstly, allow me to give some context, it is definitely not our intention to make your life harder, quite the opposite. What we’re experiencing right now is the pain of a big technical move, and those of you in the programming field know exactly what we’re talking about. Websites are amazingly complicated, and despite our best efforts of a year and a half of planning, things are acting kooky. There are some aspects of our site that we knew weren’t going to be perfect at launch, but most of the issues we’re seeing were not even issues until we launched. Many things worked perfectly in testing, and then broke at launch or soon after. We are working nearly around-the-clock to get to the root of all our issues.
The Biggest Issues Right Now
Here are the biggest bugs we’re experiencing right now:
- Missing products – This weekend something (I wish I could be more specific) happened that is making large groups of our products completely disappear from our site. This is a critical issue and we’re trying to get it resolved. We haven’t discontinued anything or are out-of-stock of entire brands, it’s just some bug that’s causing this and we need to squash it!
- Mobile limitations – We’re missing search filters, there are some category navigations that are misbehaving, and some formatting issues. These seem to be worst on Android devices and some iPads (particularly 1st Gen). Some enhancements should be rolled out in the next day or so, more to come as time progresses.
- Checkout/shipping issues – Some of you aren’t able to select a shipping method and proceed to checkout. The best thing to do here is to try to log in to your “My Account” page and confirm that your addresses are set up properly. Make sure there’s a phone number and valid address there. There’s also a bug that you can’t change your shipping method after it’s selected for the first time.
- Login issues – A feature on our new site is increased security, and a consequence of the site move was that some of your passwords needed to be changed (increased in complexity). This meant you couldn’t login, and the issue arose when a whole other bug that affected our email responder caused a delay in the automatic emails that were to go out to anyone requesting to change their password. There’s a 72-hour window of using the email link to change the password, and the email delay meant that some of the emails didn’t go out until after the 72-hour window had closed! Confusing for sure. So if you received an error that says “Missing or invalid parameter: confirmationCode Unknown or expired confirmationCode.”, that’s what happened. The email delay was fixed on Thursday 11/20 in the evening, so you should be able to reset your password now.
- Missing package sets – On our old site we had package sets that spanned different products like pens, ink, and paper all rolled together into a single product. We loved it, you loved it, and it is something we just weren’t able to implement on our new site in time for launch. This was a huge disappointment for us, and we’re 100% working to get it back. It’s probably not going to happen for a couple of months, unfortunately. Bummer all the way, I know.
- Wishlist issues
- There’s a default limit of 20 items currently, and we’re seeing if we can raise that.
- Some of you have experienced trouble with adding or deleting items from your wish list, and we’re hoping to roll out a fix for these later this week.
- Missing wish list items- there could be several reasons for this. Some of our products are configured differently on the new site than they were on the old one, and might not have mapped over properly, which would explain they they’re not there anymore. If it’s a package set then it wouldn’t be there anymore (see point 5 above). It also might just be a random bug, we’re really working on ironing out our wish list right now.
- Search features acting weird – When you drill down into some of the ‘facets’ of the search on the left-sidebar (like color, nib size, etc), the displayed results are not narrowing down properly, or it doesn’t show you what you selected. When you do a search in the searchbar at the top left of the site, the first page of search results display fine, but subsequent pages are just random products. Oy! And to top it all off, there’s a default of 15 items displayed per page, and that’s not really helping things out.
- In/out of stock notification – We’re missing a notification on the category pages that show you if a product is out of stock, and that’s annoying. You also don’t have the ability to select an option (like nib size on a pen) in the Quick Look view and add it to your cart, or add out-of-stock items to your wish list.
- Other random display issues – Certain browser/device combos are doing crazy things, sometimes images get stretched, just odd stuff. We’re trying to figure this out but it’s tough because of the sheer number of devices, browsers and browser versions there are out there. It’s really important when you’re having an issue for us to know what device you’re using and what browser and version you’re on so we can pass that along to our developers.
- No order comments box at checkout- we know this is a big deal, SO many of you leave us order comments for special requests, feedback, or just friendly notes, and that’s missing on our new site. We really miss this, and it’s definitely something we’re working to bring back.