Hey there ink lovers! Margaret here, reviewing Noodler’s Black Swan in Australian Roses. It’s no secret that I love purple inks. Black Swan in Australian Roses is one of the more popular purple/burgundy inks that we carry at Gouletpens.com. If you’d like to know more about the name and the color, check out this this video from Nathan at Noodler’s ink. I used this ink in my Monday Matchup earlier this week, and I absolutely love it. Read on to find out why!
- Lamy Al-Star with medium steel nib (also EF and B nib)
- Rhodia No. 16 dotpad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River white paper
- Moleskine notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time):
- Around 30 seconds: This is a pretty average time for fountain pen ink to dry. I wasn’t bothered by it and I didn’t have any issues with it smudging while waiting for it to dry.
Drip Test (Water Resistance):
- Medium: This ink is labeled as water resistant, and is about 16% bulletproof. The combination of dyes in this color makes it very unique fountain pen ink! When applying water to the ink, the purple moves ever so slightly while the black component stays put. If you’re looking to make ink washes, I wouldn’t recommend this one.
- High: The ink is the same color in all three of the swabs. As you can see, the color of ink is going to be look darker when written with a broad or flex nib.
Ease of Cleaning:
- Medium: The ink came off the nib while cleaning with ease. You may need to work a little bit harder to get the ink out of the converter.
- High: This beautiful ink offers tons of shading! In face, we’ve included it in our top 7 shading fountain pen inks. I love the dark burgundy color that you see on the down stroke of the letters. I didn’t try this ink in a flex nib, but I can only imagine how gorgeous it would look!
- Medium/Wet: This wasn’t a gusher, but it has great flow. It was easy and enjoyable to use!
Packaging and Aesthetics:
- 3 oz bottle
- Wide opening making it easy to fill your fountain pen.
- The bottle is really full! Be careful not to overflow the ink with the first few fills.
Inks Similar In Color:
I loved using this ink! It’s so unique because of the black and purple dye, that there’s really nothing else like it. You can find Noodler’s Black Swan in Australian Roses available in a 3oz bottle for $12.50 or as a 2ml sample for $1.25.
Do you use purple ink on a regular basis?