We have another awesome “Goulet Guests” to share with you. In our final interview from the Atlanta Pen Show back in April, Brian had the opportunity to sit down with Brad Dowdy and Jeffrey Bruckwicki of Nock Co. Nock Co. produces handmade fountain pen cases that are made in the USA.
Brian, Brad, and Jeffrey discuss the challenges of making handmade products in the US, how they chose their pen case designs, and how they came up with the name ‘Nock’. Here’s an overview of the questions they talked about:
- Can you give us a little background about who you are?
- Can you tell me a little bit about Nock and how it got started? How did it all happen?
- So you guys didn’t know each other previously?
- How did you come up with the name Nock?
- You’re pretty passionate about “made in America”, how important is it to keep everything made in American here?
- Does manufacturing in the US create any challenges for you?
- Can you take me through the process of what it actually takes to manufacture these things?
- Since you are manufacturing everything in house, how do you come up with the product designs? What is that process like?
- What are some of your most interesting failures that you’ve had in your design testing?
- Why did you guys settle on nylon?
- What are some of the most popular colors in your designs?
- What does success look like from this point? Where do you wanna go in the next 3-5 years? What is the end goal for Nock?
- Are you anticipating having to raise your prices once you get to a retailing point? Or have you factored that in to your existing prices?
- So I don’t know much about sewing, is it just as easy to design a backpack as it is to design a pen case?
- I have some experience with leather pen cases and I find that most leather makers are making things like bags and coats and the pens are an afterthought. What are your thoughts on that?
- What’s the best way for people to find you, follow you, and buy your stuff?
Let us know what you thought of the the interview in the comments below! Have your eye on any of the Nock Co. products?
The Goulet Pen Company Team