Hi fountain pen fans! Madigan here bringing you my latest Monday Matchup. This week, I paired a Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque with Robert Oster Grün Schwarz ink. I chose this match because I wanted to give the Vanishing Point another try- I’d used it in my first Monday Matchup and it wasn’t my favorite. I wanted to try Robert Oster Grün Schwarz because, while every ink brand has a black ink, they are all different. I wanted to see how it stacked up to the other great blacks out there!
My inspiration for the piece came from the old Carter Family song Keep on the Sunny Side. I’m a sucker for old-time and classic country. I wanted to use the song title and do a piece that had a lot of line work to get the most of the fine nib on the Vanishing Point.
I sketched the piece out with the pen first on a smaller piece of paper to get a general idea going. Since it was a relatively simple idea, I hand drew the sun and hills on the Rhodia Pad and wrote the words at the top of the page. Using an empty brush pen, I dipped it into the ink and filled in the sky, leaving blank spaces for the rays of the sun. Once that was done, I used the pen to create different sections in the hills and then varied the line directions and shapes to create texture.
I liked the line width the nib provided but when comparing the smoothness of my Lamy 2000 to the Vanishing Point, the Lamy 2000 definitely wins in my book. I did like the clicking mechanism on the Vanishing Point, but it was a bit stingy with the ink, or Robert Oster Grün Schwarz was a very dry ink. I’m not sure that this pen and ink played well together- a more wet writing ink like Noodler’s Black might have been a better choice. I did like how dark Robert Oster Grün Schwarz is, however. It is a true black ink.
- Match a pen and ink together. They don’t have to match in color, any fountain pen, and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way or submit up to 4 different entries if you’d like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we’ll draw a random winner. Since it’s totally random, you’re eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.
The contest is open Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12pm EST until Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12pm EST. One winner will be randomly selected and announced tomorrow once the contest closes. The winner must live in a country that Goulet Pens currently ships to. Click here to see the Official Contest Rules.
What is your favorite country song? Leave a comment and let me know!