Hey there, friends. Whitney here, bringing you my matchup of Noodler’s Heart of Darkness and a Monteverde Mountains of the World Mount Vesuvio in Fine. I was quite excited when I was given this dark and dusky pen and ink to work with this week. Read on to hear my thoughts on this pairing and how I created my piece.
I really wanted to play up the darkness of this pen and ink and use it as inspiration for my piece. Edgar Allan Poe is the king of doom and gloom, so I figured he’d be the perfect inspiration. And what’s more quintessentially Poe than “The Raven”? First, I wrote the excerpt in freehand in the center of the page. I thought the new Caran D’ache brush pens would be interesting to work with to create a silhouetted figure, so I grabbed the Large Brush pen and got to work. I painted the raven silhouette and the feather with the brush then grabbed the eyedropper from the Heart of Darkness bottle and added a few drops of ink for a splatter effect at the top of the drawing.
The nib on this pen is nice and I enjoyed that it had a hint of feedback when writing. It has a pleasing sound as it goes across paper but is still pretty smooth. I would personally need a finer nib for writing my daily notes because I write especially small. However, for most people, this pen would be perfect for notes or casual drawing. The ink stayed put well and dried fairly quickly. This ink could easily be incorporated into an ink wash without sacrificing too much of the existing drawing.
I don’t think I would change a single thing about this Monday Matchup. I think this is the quickest one I’ve ever done for the amount that’s on the page. I decided to just wing it (haha get it? Wing it!) on the drawing after I wrote the quote a few times and I like how it turned out.
You can find the Monteverde Mountains of the World Mount Vesuvio fountain pen at GouletPens.com for $68 in nib sizes Fine, Medium, and 1.1mm Italic. Noodler’s Heart of Darkness is available in a 4.5oz bottle for $19 and a 2ml ink sample for $1.25.
- Match a pen and ink together. They don’t have to match in color, any fountain pen, and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way or submit up to 4 different entries if you’d like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we’ll draw a random winner. Since it’s totally random, you’re eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.
The contest is open Monday, June 5, 2017 at 12 pm EDT until Tuesday, June 6, 2017, at 12 pm EDT. One winner will be randomly selected and announced tomorrow once the contest closes. The winner must live in a country that Goulet Pens currently ships to. Click here to see the Official Contest Rules.