Goulet Q&A is now available as an audio podcast! Click here for the RSS feed to use in your podcast app of choice, or click here for a direct download.
In this episode, I talk about friction fit nibs, what pen/ink combo I’ve used the longest, and a whole bunch of business questions!
- announced the move last week, definitely got some energy around that
- *whoops, I misspoke – the moving sale ends today 7/28!
- lots of questions for Q&A this week about me/the business as a result, I think
- just a few weeks away, definitely taking a lot of my focus
- last regular Q&A for a bit, next week will be a pre-recorded one where I go back and re-answer questions from Q&A #1, should be fun
- After that I’m taking a couple of weeks off because the move will take all my time and energy
- I will be going to the DC pen show, look for me walking around there
- Taking a break on new products during our move
New/Upcoming Products: – (5:45)
Pens/Writing – (11:24)
1) arachnesthreads- Instagram – (11:27)
- this one’s tough, because a lot of manufacturers don’t really want to advertise this feature
- it’s really a “hack”, with rare exception
- the few companies that embrace the nib swapping capabilities of their pens often do so with a nib housing that completely unscrews, like Aurora, Edison, Kara Kustoms
- pulling friction-fit nibs has some inherent risk, especially from the manufacturer’s perspective
- if you ruin something (without realizing it) then talk about how poorly your (insert brand) pen writes, that looks bad for them
- it really all boils down to trial and error
- honestly, most nibs are friction fit, you just have to know how to pull them without damaging them
- people like me that hack their pens apart will publicize it when they can, but there isn’t a single comprehensive list that I’m aware
- google the individual pen yourself if you’re curious, ask folks like me or my team, or just try it yourself (there’s risk here though)
- half the time I find out if they are just by going for it, but I’m fairly brazen at this point!
- Looking at my site with what I currently have, the VAST majority of nibs are friction-fit with these exceptions:
2) andrew_smithing- Instagram – (22:48)
- you may be pushing the limits of practicality with such extreme conditions, just a heads up
- Karas Kustoms immediately comes to mind
- Lamy Safari
- Jinhao (any of them, really)
- TWSBI Eco
- These are all pretty tough, so I don’t think breakage will be so much an issue
- leaking maybe, especially with that heat, that will be hard to avoid
- not often, and it can very a lot based on use and conditions
- it can go years and years
- store in a cool, dry place with the lid closed and minimal exposure to light for longest lasting
- Montblanc has expiration dates
- I can’t think of any other
Business – (34:53)
4) Renee O.- Facebook – (34:54)
- lead by example- I’ll try it myself first before expecting others to do it
- servant leadership- I bear the responsibility of my whole team, and will do everything I can to set up a supportive structure for them
- Strength- Futuristic thinking, and willingness to work towards win-win solutions whenever possible
- Weakness- work too hard! Care too much! 😉 No really, I have two glaring ones.
- I’m task-driven and very decisive, so I often overlook the impact that my actions have on others, especially emotionally, so I hurt feelings or give off the impression I don’t care, when in fact I really do
- I am so looking towards the future that I seldom stop to celebrate accomplishments, for myself and others, and that can be demoralizing for my team
5) lowcountry_impact- Instagram – (45:03)
- The Dip by Seth Godin– got me to quit making pens and go all in on retail
- Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk– why I make videos
- Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh– establishing company values
- EntreLeadership by Dave Ramsey– hiring process, no debt, communication styles, service week, so much else
- The Advantage by Pat Lencioni– building a leadership team and organizational health
Personal – (55:31)
- a lot of you are familiar with my Pilot Custom 74 blue in medium, and I do love, love this pen
- I’ve used a lot of inks with this though, and Liberty’s Elysium was the combo used in it for several years, Noodler’s Blue before that
- I’ve lately been using my Visconti Homo Sapiens in fine with Diamine Marine, recently switched to RO Blue Water Ice tho
- longest running of both pen and ink together would be my Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler’s Black
- it’s by journaling pen, and just about everything else I’m changing inks a lot!
- this pen sits on my nightstand, and I write in my journal mostly daily before I go to sleep, and I don’t even have a bottle of ink upstairs in my house
7) sweetiemonsquares- Instagram – (1:00:33)
- husband and father, less about accomplishment, more about living it out
- I wanted to work with Rachel, and we’re doing that!
- Read my journal from January 3, 2010, before I published a single video…
Thanks so much for joining us this week! You can catch up on any old Q&A videos you missed here.