Hello, everyone, Sarah here! This week, I’m excited to have used the brand new Diamine Earl Grey ink and LAMY Studio Racing Green fountain pen. This ink was voted on and created by the Fountain Pen subreddit community and it was super cool to use an ink with that exciting of a backstory. I read reviews about both the pen and the ink and I was looking forward to getting my hands on them. Read on to hear what I thought!
My inspiration for this matchup came from the name of this ink. It is a lovely name and fitting for the hue. I had already drawn teacups for a previous matchup so I went a different route this time. What goes perfectly with a cup of tea? A comfy armchair, of course! And a good book with my cat too!
I first began by collecting inspirational photos of cozy armchairs online, then sketching the chair out. I took the brush pen and dipped it into a little ink, blocking the basic shadows to get the shape looking more dimensional. I wanted the chair to have a lot of depth as if you could just hop inside the drawing and sit in it. Then, I took the pen and sketched the hard edges of the chair, making lines around the buttons, creases of the fabric, and in the details.
LAMY never fails me. I found the smooth lines and width of the Fine nib to work perfectly for artwork. The Studio was surprisingly heavier than I expected but makes sense for a metal-bodied pen. I found I liked it best unposted as it was a little top heavy when posted. The Earl Grey ink was a bold grey- legible and dark, which I loved. It had a subtle blue cast to it and when I blended it a bit with water on the page, I could see a little bit of purple hues too. Overall, Earl Grey is an elegant ink and it’s made even better because of the story behind it!
This combo would be perfect for any task. The shape of the Studio would be comfortable for long writing sessions and this shade of grey is so versatile for just about anything! I wouldn’t change a thing about this matchup.
Enter to win this fountain pen and ink by following these directions!
- Match a pen and ink together. They don’t have to match in color, any fountain pen, and ink works.
- Take a picture of your pen and ink matchup.
- Find the entry details and instructions below on how to share your picture with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or as a blog comment*.
- You can choose to enter only one way or submit up to 4 different entries if you’d like. Feel free to use the same picture for all 4 entries.
- Confirm your entry via the Rafflecopter widget below which will record your entries. This is how we’ll draw a random winner. Since it’s totally random, you’re eligible to win each week!
- *Due to recent changes with the Disqus platform, you must register for a Disqus account in order to post a photo entry in the blog comments.
The contest is open Monday, December 11, 2017, at 12 pm EST until Tuesday, December 12, 2017, at 12 pm EST. One winner will be randomly selected and announced tomorrow once the contest closes. The winner must live in a country that Goulet Pens currently ships to. Click here to see the Official Contest Rules.
What does your ideal cozy spot look like?