It can be difficult when you first start out using fountain pens. There’s such a variety of inks, pens, papers; it’s easy to see how it could be confusing. We asked our Instagram followers for their best newbie tips and they delivered! From those comments, we’ve put together 17 pieces of advice that you told us every newbie should hear.
1. Buy ink samples before committing to a whole bottle, it’s a great way to try out lots of different inks.
3. Use your pen! Don’t just leave it in a box or on display. They’re for writing!
4. Try different pens and different nib sizes until you find the right fit.
5. Just dive in!
6. Don’t use ink that’s made for dip pens.
8. Nice paper can completely change your writing experience.
9. Inky fingers are fine!
10. Be patient! Some things take time and experience to learn.
11. Bulb syringes can save you a ton of time when cleaning your pens.
12. Use light pressure, fountain pens should write under their own weight.
13. Perfect handwriting is not required.
14. Your pen isn’t going to leak constantly just because it’s a fountain pen.
15. Ask how to take the cap off when borrowing someone’s pen! Save yourself from pulling on a twist-off cap.
16. You might become obsessed, just prepare for that.
17. Join the fountain pen community!
For more tips and tricks, check out the original Instagram post!
If you’re looking for an online fountain pen community, join us over on Facebook in our Goulet Nation group. It’s a great place for newbies and experts to get their questions answered.
Were there any tips that we missed? Please tell us in the comments!
The Goulet Pen Company Team