Hey pen friends,
Rachel here, and I am super excited to announce that we’ll be launching an all-new GouletPens.com store next week on June 6th! This has been a major project we’ve been working on for months, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
Here’s everything you need to know…
- Easier to navigate (all nib sizes for each pen will be in a dropdown on a single page, instead of separate pages for each nib size)
- More mobile & tablet friendly
- Smoother checkout experience
- Improved predictive search
- More responsive filtering with faster load speeds
- Easy returns initiation process
- Shipping rates calculated in cart before entering checkout
- Enhanced shipment tracking experience
- Wishlist you can share via social or direct link
- New options to pay with ApplePay or GooglePay
We’re retaining a lot of the same clean look and feel that you’re used to seeing, with a bit of accent color updating to keep it fresh. We can’t wait to show you our new logo, designed in partnership with Master Penman Jake Weidmann!
The navigation will be very similar in structure to the current site, and the homepage will have a lot more content to explore.
Your Account Information:
Here’s what WILL be migrated from our current site to the new site:
- Your name and email address.
- Your saved addresses. We do recommend that when you log in for the first time, that you please verify that these are correct and make sure the default is set properly.
- Your full order history, which was actually quite difficult to accomplish!
- Any back-in-stock email notifications that you’ve signed up for.
- Your newsletter subscription preferences. We are also changing email newsletter providers but all should transfer smoothly.
- Any gift cards or store credits with a balance. These we have to manually set up after the new site launches, so you may need to give us a few days. If you need to check out and the code isn’t working, just email us and we’ll help you out. All gift codes will be the same.
Here’s what unfortunately will NOT be migrated:
- Your password, for security reasons. You’ll be getting an automated email from us within 24 hours of the new site launching, with an invitation to create your password and finish setting up your new account. We’ll be giving you an extra incentive to do so, so watch your inbox for that! ;)
- Your wishlist. This is a bummer, we know. We recommend that you either take screenshots, or use the “share” link in your account to email a copy to yourself so that you can set it up again on the new site.
- Any open shopping carts. If you have a bunch of items saved and haven’t completed checkout, your cart will be cleared out.
- Our current site will be taken offline on Tuesday, June 5th, sometime in the morning (we’re on the East Coast, USA). We’ll be doing our physical inventory to make sure stock levels are correct, shipping all of the open orders, and finishing the final migration pieces.
- In between June 5-6th, you won’t be able to view our store, but the blog and YouTube videos will still be up. We’re also available to talk with you on any of our social media channels. We’ll still be accessible during normal office hours on phone and email, though Live Chat will be down until our new site is active.
- The new site will be live on Wednesday, June 6th, again sometime in the morning when we’ve confirmed the new site is up and running smoothly.
- If you’ve ever shopped with us, you’ll get your account activation invite email sometime within 24 hours of go-live.
A few more notes:
This has been a massive project, and sometimes there are tradeoffs in order to keep costs down or to stay on our timelines. We had to make a few small temporary sacrifices, but we are already working with our developers on plans to bring back these features later in the summer. Two big areas…
1) Our custom comparison tools — the Swab Shop, Nib Nook, and Pen Plaza — will appear visually simpler than what you currently see. We do have plans this summer to completely overhaul those (again!) to make them easier to navigate and more mobile friendly. In the meantime, all the content will still be there, and they’re fully functional, just not what we intend them to ultimately be.
2) We will not have most of our package sets available right away. This is really just due to behind-the-scenes technical setup, and we’re actively working on a solution. We are going to keep some of our most popular package sets available from day one, including our GPC cleaning & tuning sets, our notebook sampler, the random ink sample set, and a simplified Fountain Pen First-Timer set for beginners. The rest of our sets, including all of the ink sample package sets and everything else, will hopefully be back later this summer.
Thanks for your patience with both of these items!
We’ve tried our best to minimize disruption to the way you interact with our site, and a lot of the reason for us making this change was to improve the architecture of our site to make it easier for us to serve you well. Like a duck gliding across the water, we want you to see a graceful motion above the surface while we’re paddling our feet actively underneath! This change allows us to build a more stable foundation for even better things for the future. For those curious technical minds, we’re moving to Shopify, the largest e-commerce platform in North America.
Again, we are just so excited to share our new site with you. The whole point of all of this is to continue to improve your experience shopping with us. We know there may be a few technical hiccups right at launch, so we thank you in advance for your patience with us as we work it all out. Our team is ready to help! In the long term, we really believe this move will allow us to do even more cool stuff to better serve you.
Thanks, and write on!