This ink has been reformulated and has changed in color slightly, you can now find it as De Atramentis Purple Violet.
In case you missed Monday Matchup this week, we’re giving you a second look at the ink that was featured! Adam’s use of De Atramentis Magenta Violet really impressed me, so I’m excited to review this ink myself. Several customers have recommended this ink to me over the last few months, but this was the first time I’ve had a chance to give it a try.
- Lamy Al-Star with medium steel nib (also EF and B nib)
- Rhodia No. 16 dotpad, 80g white paper
- Tomoé River white paper
- Moleskine notebook
Smear Test (Dry Time)
- Medium. This ink is not a fast drying ink. It was dry after about 25 seconds.
Drip Test (Water Resistance)
- Low. This ink offers no water resistance, so if you were to spill coffee or water on your paper, it won’t hold up well.
- If water resistance is something you’re looking for, this may not be the ink for you. However, when the ink gets wet, you see more of the pink stand out which could make it fun to use as an inkwash!
- Medium. It’s pretty mild, but when the ink is used in a pen, you’ll still see a vibrant color.
Ease of Cleaning
- Easy. I found this ink super easy to clean out of my pen, which is a major plus for me!
- Low. This ink has minimal shading, however it is a rich purple with a hint of pink. This makes it unique among other purple inks.
- Medium. I really enjoyed the flow of this ink. It was wet and easy to write with, without gushing all over the page.
Packaging and Aesthetic
- 35 ml bottle
- Nice bottle, but does not come with a box
Inks similar in color
I really enjoyed using this ink! I can see myself using this ink when I’m journaling or when I’m writing notes to friends. If you’re looking to add a rich, low maintenance purple ink to your collection, I’d definitely recommend checking out De Atramentis Magenta Violet.
You can get a 35 ml bottle of De Atramentis Magenta Violet available regularly for $12.95 ($9.75 currently on sale through July 2015) or a 2ml ink sample for under $2 (under $1 currently, with Inksamplepalooza going on!) at Gouletpens.com. (Note: the ink label on the bottle may read “Purple Violet, but this is not a scented ink.)
Have you tried De Atramentis Magenta Violet before? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.