Goulet Q&A is now available as an audio podcast! Click here for the RSS feed to use in your podcast app of choice, or click here for a direct download.
Is Platinum selling separate nib units? I’d like to have their music nib on my #3776 Century, but don’t want to buy another pen.
- we can special order them, but it’s the whole grip of the pen
- costs more than half the pen, but you can do it
I can’t carry my Noodler’s Ahab around much without ink getting all over the inside of the cap and the grip section. Do more expensive pens, specifically the Pilot Metal Falcon and the Pilot e95s have this same problem?
- not really
- it does happen though, my Custom 74 has drips of ink all the time
- worse with the Ahab though, the wide open ebonite feed is just saturated with ink
- I would expect it to be tempermental, yes
- I don’t know what major overhaul means, but thats not really normal
- heat setting?
- Reasonably priced is subjective, but alternatives are Pilot Falcon ($144) and up from there
- for the price? nothing
- I remember before Noodler’s pens were around
- Falcon was the cheapest, unless you got a vintage ‘deal’ somehow
- restored vintage pens were way expensive
- today, there’s the Pilot Falcon, Omas Ogiva Alba
- not advertised as flex, Platinum Cool, Platinum Modern Maki-e
5) @BikeSC- Twitter – (32:54)
- I seriously doubt repl nibs will be available, could be wrong though
- other nibs???
6) @ctrymaus- Twitter – (34:33)
- good practice for all new pens, and anything already inked
- you can wing it like I do sometimes, and just clean if there’s a ‘problem’
7) @paul_joynes- Twitter – (36:31)
- you want it in a cool, dry place
- refrigerator shouldn’t hurt it if it’s closed securely
- If it isn’t secure, lower humidity in the fridge could cause it to dry out sooner
Have there been any products you thought were going to do well at Goulet that just flopped or failed to meet the demand you thought they would bring?
- sketchbooks, Clairefontaine GraFit, Stillman&Birn
- Pelikan m200’s
- Pilot Raden Water Surface and Stripe, started strong, then dropped off hard
- Sailor 1911S
10) Chad C.- Facebook – (50:31)
- this will definitely happen at some point, yes
Will you consider offering the goulet nib in soft?
- I would consider it, but Jowo doesn’t do one, so I’d be shopping
- not something i think is realistic right now
12) @LucyHoneychurch- Twitter – (56:28)
Have Clairefontaine paper with seyes ruling, but the lines are very dominant, are there other companies that sell seyes ruling?
- somewhere, probably, but I can’t name one
13) Mary B.- Facebook – (58:20)
- mostly what I do is write, too
- I like shading just in my writing, not for art reasons like you see in our Monday Matchups
Thanks so much for spending time with me this week, I really appreciate it. Thanks so much for continuing to ask questions, and I’m sorry to all those whose questions I couldn’t answer today. Be sure to check here if you have any old Q&A’s that you missed. Have a great rest of the week!
Question of the Week: What do you think of the new GouletPens.com? (when it launches!)